In the claim game, speed and accuracy are the key. Closing a claim, or defending one requires information.
Before you put in the effort and resources, it is important to know if your vendors have what it takes.
Active vs Passive Couriers
It is vital to understand the different approaches used to get reports by different companies. This vital difference in process explains the majority of problems our clients have had with previous services.
Many times our customers are using a national, "Big Data" outfit that provides them the cheapest price per report. What many clients learn (the hard way), is that the delivery time is very slow. Even worse, the delivery % is very low. It turns out costing them far more than they realize.
There is a lot of reasons why. One is method and another is motive. And they both come down to a Passive vs Active Process.
This part explains a lot about the poor performance metrics of most report procurement companies. The 2 main methodologies for getting traffic reports come down to Active vs Passive
We see this daily. This is the most common technique used by the Big Data organizations
- The customer (you) spends a lot of time researching jurisdiction to give the courier information.
- The courier prints out a report request and routes it to their driver who works on a fixed (often weekly) route.
- The driver drops off a folder full of report requests at the front desk of a law enforcement service desk.
- The next time the driver is routed to that office, (typically the next week or longer) they pick up a folder full of reports, which they route back to the main office to be eventually scanned and mailed back to you.
The result? Some agencies don't return reports directly, and mail them back to the courier main office.
The 3 biggest problems with the passive courier process are HUGE . . .
In this passive technique, there is no way to close the process loop. If the report request was wrong (the wrong personal data, the wrong jurisdiction, or not available) there is no way to know. The office simply doesn't include that report for the driver. The driver is "passive", meaning they don't know or manage what they received vs what they ordered. They don't know what they don't know.
After several weeks (often 4 at least), an unfulfilled report request might be returned to the customer. The notice is simply "Your report was unavailable". You get to try and determine what the problem is, and reapply.
It is not uncommon in the passive courier scenario for a wrong report to be provided, and it is weeks late!
The process relies on a bureaucratic system (municipal law enforcement) to fulfill a non qualified request. Think back to most of your experiences at the DMV, a city planner office, or other similar environment. In this scenario, the pressure is on you to determine jurisdiction, availability, and data integrity. Then you are forced to wait until somewhere an overworked, underpaid cog in a municipal machine gets through the stack of reports, finds your report, prints it, returns it, and eventually you either get it, or you don't.
The amount of wasted time in this situation is simply so large it is hard to calculate. And because this cost is not a direct charge on a vendor invoice, it is absorbed in overhead costs. There is simply no way to track it.
This method turns the previous one totally upside-down. The whole goal is to avoid a "black hole" scenario where a request for key business information goes into action, and never returns. It also puts the focus on the effort and resources of the courier, not the customer.
The customer requests a report and provides the basic key data points. Often this is the minimal data required to procure the traffic report by a law enforcement agency.
This will typically be:
- Date of Loss
- Location of Loss
- Insured Driver Name
- Driver Name
- Any additional data is helpful.
Then The report courier process begins:
- Determining jurisdiction. Who even has the report? This has to be verified first.
- The report courier then contacts the report supplier directly, and verifies (and updates) key report data in their system.
- Is the supplier the correct one?
- Is the report data accurate?
- Is the report available?
- Is there any additional data that can be provided back to the customer?
- In the event any data is wrong, or missing, the customer is contacted and the data is updated. Often Date of Loss is incorrect, or driver names are misspelled. Sometimes multiple efforts must be made to find the appropriate jurisdiction as small difference in location make the difference on who handles the report.
- The report courier then sends a driver immediately to the report supplier with an authorization for that specific report.
- The report is retrieved, scanned, and then reviewed to determine it is the correct report.
Once the report is confirmed, electronic delivery is made.
The difference is tremendous. The customer will only supply the minimum information required, and have immediate information regarding the report. Int he event the data is wrong, there is an immediate contact and resolution begins directly. If the report is available, the next driver in the area can be routed to the agency and retrieve it.
Save money, time and resources using an Active Courier
We talked about the impact of real costs in a previous post. The Real Cost of a Collision Report goes over in a bit of detail the costs that are hidden when a isn't sourced correctly.
For the Personal Injury Attorney or Legal Firm, wasting time on a case that wont settle well, or for minimal results adds up. Both lost time and LOST OPPORTUNITY working better cases reduce your effective rate significantly.
For an Insurance Claims Manager, time spent waiting to close the claim is expensive. The more time that passes means more time for retaining a lawyer, dragging out the case, and settling for more. Loss Mitigation 101 is close the claim fast.
Want to know more?
We provide high performance, low hassle report services for claims adjusters, processors, and legal professionals. When you need Traffic Collision Reports, Certificate of Death, Animal Control, Fire and Coroner reports, WE WILL GET THE REPORT!
First Report is FREE for new customers!